MAKE or DO?
MAKE / DO ?
'Do' pour des activités physiques ou domestiques, des sports, des emplois, ces activités ne produisent pas d'objets physiques :
do homework, housework, the ironing, the dishes,a job , sport.
'Do' pour des idées générales : on ne nomme pas une activité
I'm not doing anything today.
He does everything for his mother.
She's doing nothing.
do one's best
do a favour
have nothing to do with
'Make' pour préparer, construire , produire , créer quelque chose de nouveau
make food ,a cup of tea / coffee
make a mistake, a mess, room
make time to do something
two and two make four
They make a handsome couple
make money, profit, a fortune, a deal
'Make' pour s'exprimer,les paroles et les sons
make noise, a speech, a phone call, a fuss, trouble, a point (=a remark), an excuse, a suggestion.
Make amends (=confess)
'Make' pour les décisions, les projets d'avenir, les essais, les efforts :
make an exception, a decision, plans,arrangements
make an effort, an attempt, a try
Expressions avec 'Make'
Make it : succeed
Make my day : make me happy.
Make a clean breast of : confess
Make it up with : reconcile
Make off : leave hurriedly, run away.
Make for : compensate
Make the most of : optimize
Make amends : to admit one's faults
Make a point of doing something : make sure you do something because it is important or necessary.
Do or Make - Quiz
Use 'do' or 'make' in the following sentences. Put the verb in the right form. When you have finished, scroll down for the answers.
- He ____ an excellent job at the meeting last week.
- May I ____ a telephone call?
- Please stop ___ so much noise!
- She ____ her homework before she went to bed.
- Would you like me ____ you a cup of tea?
- I'm afraid you ____ (not) any good.
- Look at your room! You ____ a mess!
- It took him a long time ____ a decision.
- Do you mind ____ the washing-up this evening?
- We ____ plans for our next holiday at the moment.
- What ____ you ____? - Oh, I ___ (not) anything at the moment.
- I guess I can ____ an exception to the rule this time.
- What ____ we ____ this evening?
- I know you ____ your best last week.
- I wish you ____ an effort on this exam.
- 1. He did an excellent job at the meeting last week.
- 2. May I make a telephone call?
- 3. Please stop making so much noise!
- 4. She did her homework before she went to bed.
- 5. Would you like me to make you a cup of tea?
- 6. I'm afraid you won't do OR aren't doing any good.
- 7. Look at your room! You made OR have made a mess!
- 8. It took him a long time to make a decision.
- 9. Do you mind doing the washing-up this evening?
- 10. We are making plans for our next holiday at the moment.
- 11. What are you doing? - Oh, I am not doing anything at the moment.
- 12. I guess I can make an exception to the rule this time.
- 13. What shall we do OR are we going to do this evening?
- 14. I know you did your best last week.
- 15. I wish you would make an effort on this exam.
another online exercise.